Google Play has put appreciable effort into defending Android customers from low-quality apps and serving to them to search out high-quality apps extra simply. First, there was a sequence of latest insurance policies regulating app builders, adopted by a brand new app monitoring system launched in November final yr. However regardless of all efforts, the variety of low-quality apps continues rising.

In line with information introduced by Sports activities Lens, the variety of low-quality apps within the Google Play retailer jumped by 80,000 within the final yr, reaching over a million final week.

Greater than 12,000 New Low-High quality Apps Since November, Regardless of New Monitoring System

Google’s new app monitoring system, which began on November 30, 2022, makes discovering high-quality apps simpler. That implies that higher-quality apps change into extra seen. In distinction, low-quality apps are faraway from suggestions, together with apps with a user-perceived crash charge above 1.09% and a user-perceived ANR charge of 0.47%.

Even earlier than this new system, 1000’s of low-quality and policy-violating apps have been periodically faraway from Google’s play retailer. However, regardless of all of the measures and efforts, the variety of low-quality Android apps has elevated.

In line with AppBrain information, the variety of low-quality apps listed within the Google Play Retailer jumped 8% year-over-year, rising from round 930,000 in January 2022 to over a million final week. Statistics present March and April noticed the very best variety of new low-quality apps final yr, 11,000 and 12,000, respectively. Nonetheless, all different months in 2022 additionally witnessed a four-digit improve.

Curiously, the quantity continued rising even after November, when Google Play Retailer introduced its new app monitoring system. Whereas November alone noticed an 8,800 drop, virtually the identical variety of low-quality apps was listed in Google Play the next month. The AppBrain information present greater than 12,000 new low-quality apps had been listed in Google Play within the final two months, or 15% of the full year-over-year improve.

Whole Variety of Google Play Apps Elevated by 50,000 YoY

Resulting from its tighter regulating insurance policies, Google has considerably diminished the variety of accessible apps in its play retailer through the years. In 2020, Android customers might select between 2,9 million apps. By the top of 2021, this quantity dropped to 2.7 million and continued falling.

In January 2022, the variety of accessible apps stood at 2.64 million, displaying an enormous 260,000 drop in two years. Statistics present the full variety of accessible Google Play apps elevated by round 50,000 since then, reaching 2.69 million final week. Common apps make up 62% of that quantity, and low-quality apps account for the remaining 38%.

Source link